Tuesday 25 May 2010

Labels

I am an ENTJ. It's a Myers-Briggs personality type indicator label, not a disease. If you're familiar with MTBI then you've got an immediate insight into me. In the Belbin Team Role test, I'm a strong 'shaper' and 'monitor-evaluator' - again, labels that give a quick insight into some aspect of who I am. Not all labels are as positive -  I'm also labelled as untrustworthy to teach at most CU's in the UK as I can't sign the UCCF statement of faith (why is the subject of a different blog). That's nothing new mind, back when I first pastored a church, I remember going to a BU meeting (I was a good boy then) where people who were in leadership without having been to Bible College (like me) were labelled as 'pretenders'. Forgive and forget eh Major.

As the song almost says: 'any label will do'. 

Last blog, I had a bit of a rant about hypocrisy. It was sparked by an article in which homosexuals were being judged as sinners. (for Bono's take on this, click here). Now, my guess is that most people who read this blog are already somewhat sympathetic to my sometimes less than traditional views. But in general, I know that there will be many who would want to draw me to one side and say 'of course we shouldn't judge, but you do believe that it is wrong don't you?'.....the point of such a question of course is to label. Am I a proper Bible believing Christian or am I, (whisper it quietly), a liberal.

If we can assign a label it avoids the necessity having to know the person, to engage with the debate - instead we can decide everything we need to know about the person on the basis of the label. In this case, a liberal would be dangerous to listen to - and unnecessary, because we conservatives have everything already sewn up.

Is it possible to live life label free? Free from the labels others so quickly hang round our knecks? Free from the labels of parents, authorities, religious leaders, those we love, those who despise us, the enemy of our souls, our-selves?

Actually, there is one label I will own. 'Beloved of God'. It's the caption of our lives, the banner unfurled over every one of us. So, laugh in the face of all other labels, hold your head up high whoever you are. I recognise you, I know you. 'Beloved of God'.

1 comment:

  1. David, you ought to put our latest assembly on here. It's about labels and what our Lord says about us. Cool stuff, eh? Dana

    ReplyDelete