Sunday 19 December 2010

A Fawlty Christmas

Here's a newly discovered Fawlty Towers episode just in time for Christmas. Hope you enjoy it.



Basil
I don’t know. Government. Couldn’t organise a drinks party in a brewery. Coalition, demolition more like...
Sybil
Are you alright Basil, muttering to yourself like that, you’ll frighten the guests.
Basil
Guests? I wouldn’t call them that. I mean, have you seen them? All these people here for this ridiculous census. And at Christmas time. I ask you. Where’s the sense in that? Whole country comes to a standstill at the merest hint of snow and the Government decides now is a good time to call a census. I mean...
Major
Conscription. That’s what you need. Didn’t have problems with snow in my day. All these yobbo’s and foreigners. Soon clear the snow if we gave them all shovels.
What, Fawlty?
Basil
Well, quite Major. I’m not sure that’s exactly what...
Major
Your wife.
Basil
Sorry, Major, my wife?
Major
Yes, Fawlty your wife. Damn fine woman...
Basil
Oh, I wouldn’t say that....
Major
Well, no, nor would I, but you could put her in charge of the conscripts. She’d sort them out alright.....
Basil
I wish she’d sort you out...
Sybil
Sorry to interrupt your intellectual conversation, but you might have noticed that there is quite a queue forming – and I’m on the phone to Audrey. Her husband’s left her again, it always happens at Christmas. Typical man, no consideration at all, he hadn’t even put up the decorations....
Basil
Oh dear, poor Audrey – I know where I’d put the decorations up...
Sybil
What did you say!!?
Basil
Nothing dear, just offering to go and help put the decorations up...
Polly
Mr Fawlty, Mr Fawlty... there’s this couple...
Basil
Yes, well, I am rather busy at the moment, can’t you see there’s a queue? We’re not good at much in this country any more, but at least we can do queues!
Polly
But Mr Fawlty, they’ve been travelling for days...
Basil
Well that’s the government for you isn’t it – pay all our taxes, income tax, VAT, fuel duty, death tax, inheritance tax. None of it gets spent on the roads does it. I mean, took me three days to get to the post office to pay my road tax last year. I mean, it’s not hard is it, it’s just a road. I’m not asking to get to the moon, just the local post office....
Polly
And she’s pregnant! She’s almost due!
Basil
Well, I can’t help that can I? What are they doing travelling all that way if she’s that pregnant?
Sybil
Basil, at the rate you’re dealing with people, she probably wasn’t pregnant when they started queuing...
Basil
Alright, Alright. What’s your name?
Joseph
Joseph Barjacob and this is Mary
Basil
Joseph & Mary Barjacob...
Mary
No.
Basil
I’m sorry?
Mary
No. I’m not Mary Barjacob. We’re not married yet.
Basil
Oh, I see.  I see your game now. Well let me tell you something sonny. That sort of behaviour might be acceptable where you are from, but we’re a respectable British hotel. You think you can come here, take our jobs, flout our customs, use our NHS...
Sybil
Give them a room Basil.
Basil
But they’re not married!
Sybil
Give them a room
Basil
I’m dealing with it dear
Sybil
Give them a room!!!
Basil
Oh, alright – ‘Manuel’
Manuel
Si
Basil
Take this couple to room 24
Manuel
Que?
Basil
Room 24
Manuel
But we no have room 24...
Basil
We do now, it’s what I’ve renamed the bike shed.
Off you go then, I do hope you enjoy your stay....
Sybil
Have you given them a room yet?
Basil
Oh yes, all sorted dear. Who’s next?


Happy Christmas from Catherine & David

No comments:

Post a Comment