Friday 31 December 2010

Walls of my heart

I was in Jerusalem and visited Bethlehem during the years when the wall was being built. The town where Christians believe Messiah was born and from where Jews still believe he will come, is now enclosed by this 30 foot barrier. Of course, it's intended for far more than physical security - it's a symbol. It says keep out, or keep in. It says we are in control. It speaks of prison, of sentence having been passed, of judgment being handed down. You are guilty, you cannot come in. It speaks of separation, of those who are in and those who are out, those who aree acceptable and those who are not. The irony of Israel trusting in concrete for 'peace' rather than their God is tragic.

Easy to condemn such a wall - and despite the provocation, I unequivocally do, but it made me ask myself 'what walls have I erected? Who am I excluding, who would not feel welcome?' At the same time, we were planning a New Year's Eve party, then Catherine sent me this poem.

New Year Party
Who's coming to the party?
the family with the car,
the people without screaming kids,
The Vicar and his wife?

The respectable family across the road,
the one with fame and friends...
are they coming to your party?
Would you let me in?

or am I just an outsider
with walls that can't be bridged,
am I in a different world
parallel to this?

For parallel lines don't cross
the worlds fail to meet,
the walls become stronger
so other worlds we won't see

The truth is that God has opened His home to us. Not at the point when we were cleaned up and acceptable, but whilst we were at our most messed up, when we were most likely to cause problems. In the light of such love, as the beneficiary of such grace, how could I do less? 

Let's make 2011 a year in which we tear down walls...

No comments:

Post a Comment