Saturday 16 April 2011

Met two guys...

Met a couple of guys on the way back up to Carlisle on Sunday. Well, didn't actually meet them - kind of encountered them at the services.

First there's Chris - I lke Chris. He wants to be helpful, he said he wanted everything to be as we wanted it - even gave us his phone number so we could ask him. Generous is what that is. And actually, now you mention it, there are a few things that I wasn't happy with right then. For a start, I'd still got this chest infection. Thought about calling Chris, but decided it was a bit selfish. I mean, I'd just read about the extension of the exclusion zone in Japan. Decided I should write a list - no point in bothering Chris with more than one call - he's bound to be a busy guy with that kind of offer... Here's where I've got to - if you want to add yours, feel free to comment, I reckon I'll probably call him on Thursday....

Nuclear plant in Japan made safe
All bodies recovered so grieving can happen
Lybian rebels to oust Gadaffi and replace his regime with something more open
An end to tyrants in general
NASA to announce a mission to Mars
My chest infection to go





Then there was Desmond.

Des reckons that he 'lives for good coffee and good conversation". Really? There was no number this time, but Des, if you're reading this, piece of advice. Get a life! Are you seriously saying that's what you live for - the point of your existence is a recreational drug and a bit of a chat with your mates?

Des, you are one sad dude.

Now, Janet's just read this and pointed out that Chris is only referring to the Stafford Services. Turns out his - and I say this kindly - definition of 'everything' is a bit smaller than mine.... And as for Des, well, probably he hates coffee, but they chose him cos someone thought he was attractive. Too smug by half if you ask me....

But it just struck me how easy it is to be parochial. To define 'everything' as meaning that which interests me or connects with the people I like. Or to be very narrow in our definition of life.  We live for a good cup of coffee, the next episode of Corrie, the next holiday.

So come on, lift your eyes Chris, think bigger Des. We've got a kingdom to build and eternity to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment