Wednesday 11 May 2016

Go Set A Watchman

No, not a blog about Harper Lee's last book, but some thoughts based on Isaiah 21.

As whirlwinds in the Negeb sweep on, it comes from the desert, from a terrible land. A stern vision is told to me; the betrayer betrays, and the destroyer destroys.
Therefore my loins are filled with anguish; pangs have seized me, like the pangs of a woman in labour; I am bowed down so that I cannot hear, I am dismayed so that I cannot see. My mind reels, horror has appalled me; the twilight I longed for has been turned for me into trembling. They prepare the table, they spread the rugs, they eat, they drink.
Rise up, commanders, oil the shield! For thus the Lord said to me: “Go, post a lookout, let him announce what he sees. When he sees riders, horsemen in pairs, riders on donkeys, riders on camels, let him listen diligently, very diligently.” Then the watcher called out: “Upon a watchtower I stand, O Lord, continually by day, and at my post I am stationed throughout the night. Look, there they come, riders, horsemen in pairs!” Then he responded, “Fallen, fallen is Babylon; and all the images of her gods lie shattered on the ground.”
O my threshed and winnowed one, what I have heard from the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, I announce to you.

Something happens, things are said and they bring anguish. It feels like a whirlwind has hit you – out of the blue comes the least expected. Unemployment, the end of a relationship, sickness, bereavement, disappointment, hope unfulfilled. It feels like a betrayal; it feels as if your very life is being crushed out of you.

How does God expect us to react in such circumstances? After all, he made us, He understands how we are meant to work – and more, He understands the fall and its effects. How does He anticipate our body, soul and spirit responding to such violence?

Does He expect us to brush it off as a light affliction? Does he expect us to be British and carry on with suitably stiffened upper lips? Are we supposed to wear a good Christian smile and say ‘The Lord knows best’?

Not at all. He anticipates us going into shock, for us to be overwhelmed with pain and to be unable to act rationally. It’s no good our friends pointing to what God has done before – we are incapable of seeing it. It is no use them recounting all the good that he has done, we are unable to hear it. We can present as many reasoned arguments as we like to them, but their minds are frozen and incapable of rational thought. We can pray for God’s light to shine on them, but right now light only makes more visible the horror that is before them.

God doesn't criticise them for this. He doesn't berate their lack of faith, their inability to see the bigger picture. Instead He appoints a watchman. In kindness and compassion, He instructs the leaders to provide someone to do what they cannot at present do for themselves, to look out for additional danger, to listen to the words of God on their behalf, to defend them and encourage them.

In this way, the individual is protected whilst the shock subsides, safe until they can begin to see, to hear, to think again about God, about truth, about love. Finally, they can hear the words of their God “O my threshed and winnowed one… fallen, fallen is Babylon; and all the images of her gods lie shattered on the ground.” Those who oppressed, those who were the root cause of the anguish, lie fallen at their feet. Finally, they can receive healing and hope from the God who loves them, who understands and bears their pain. 

Who is your watchman? Who are you being a watchman for?

No comments:

Post a Comment