Thursday 9 September 2010

Aping around

On holiday we had a great morning doing a rope course in the trees. Swinging, climbing and zip-wiring around the high ropes course. I started to enjoy it after a while. Funny thing was as got higher it got easier. After a little while I realised the rope was going to hold me. I wasn't going to fall, the difficulties were able to be faced and I wouldn't hurt myself by falling from a great height. The course started off low, little steps in trusting and faith in the ropes, and gradually got higher, bigger steps, more trust needed in the ropes.



With God I think it is the same, we start stepping out, little steps of trust and faith, then gradually the steps get bigger, we need more trust and faith in God to provide, to work in a situation, to give strength needed.

I find it incredible looking back on the year how God has worked. It started off with a little step (which just seemed so huge) writing a 1 page e-mail over the course of 3 weeks explaining as I understood things what I was struggling with. My husband didn't get why it took me so long and was so difficult to write a single page. I knew it was hard, but didn't really get it either. When we step out it is not like there will be no opposition but God gives strength to do things. God spoke to me at a christian event telling me one step at a time, and so thats been the way forward.

There have been blips along the way, the points where I have paused, regained courage to step again, like having a slip on the rope course whilst 30ft up - adrenaline pumping, taking time to regain composure, remind myself the ropes will hold me, step out again in that truth. The times when others have spoken truth and encouraged too. Same with stepping out, reminding ourselves of the truth, how God sees us, what God says and then stepping again. Like a boxing match, first and second round lost, third round is a knockout. Truth is we are on the winning side even if it takes a few rounds :)

So, do you need to start stepping? Are there little steps God is prompting you to take, or is God wanting you to stride a bit more, or to take a jump or maybe just to trust the rope. Or have you stopped stepping or had a slip, and lost courage to step out.Maybe it's time to remind yourself of truth and step out again. Or you are so petrified you can't see truth through the fear? Maybe it's time to allow others to help encourage and speak truth to you.

The rope course was exhiliarating - a real highlight of the week. Don't miss out for whatever reason! That next scary step may just be the key to a wonderful adventure and experience of God's love and grace. I am asking God what the next step is for me :)

2 comments:

  1. What do you do when there doesn't seem to be any point anymore? When things are so stupid you don't want to be involved.
    What do you do when things are happening around you but you can't get involved?
    I don't know either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When things have ended up as a confused, difficult mess that I haven't been able to see any way through, I have asked other people to help see steps for me, and kept on hoping when couldn't see the way.

    ReplyDelete